Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Christ, the particular thing

I saw this on "Confessing Evangelical"

"He was asked once by a Hindu professor what it was that he had found in Christianity, as he put it, that he had not found in his old religion. 'I have found Christ,' said Sadhu Sundar Singh. 'Oh yes, I know,' said the professor rather impatiently. 'But what particular doctrine have you found or principle that you did not have before?"

“The particular thing I have found,” replied Sadhu Sundar Singh, “is Christ.” (The actual story is that Sadhu Sundar Singh saw Christ in a vision, so Christ really found him!)

Yes, it is about Christ. When we are in Christ, when we have the peace that surpasses all understanding, when everything else is stripped from us, we cling to Christ. One of my favorite events in the Gospels is Jesus' healing of the man who was born blind. He had "found Christ" and no one could shake his simple faith. St. John wrote "Whether he is a sinner I do not know. One thing I do know, that though I was blind, now I see."...."Jesus heard that they had cast him out, and having found him he said, 'Do you believe in the Son of Man?' He answered, 'And who is he, sir, that I may believe in him?' Jesus said to him, 'You have seen him, and it is he who is speaking to you.' He said, 'Lord, I believe,' and he worshiped him."

The simple faith of this man, born blind, in the face of interrogation, is a good example of the faith we should have in the great Physician, "All I know is that I was blind, and now I see!"

No comments:

Post a Comment