Sunday, July 1, 2007

Do we have faith when we sin?

Do I still have faith, reflective faith when I sin? Am I still a child of God or not? And if I am a child of God, isn't it because I believe this despite my sin, and not because of my self reflection?

Faith does not always say "Amen!" Sometimes it says "Lord I believe, help my unbelief!" So faith is something we have even when we sin. In fact, it is faith which drives us to the foot of the cross for forgiveness-absent belief in Christ, we would fear God's righteous wrath against us.

That is the big difference between Lutheran and Reformed approaches to faith, and what having faith means. For Lutherans, Christ has objectively paid the price for all sins. It is by faith, i.e. believing the promise, what we break the cycle of self reflection and instead reflect upon the person and work of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment